- This event has passed.
Ōtautahi Economic Recovery & Labour Market Event
April 28, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 5:30 pm
About this Event
You are invited to attend an interactive event bringing together iwi, employers, education and government to understand how Christchurch’s economy is performing, the latest labour market initiatives and how we can work together to better meet future employment demands. You will have the opportunity to hear from and connect with leadership from Ngāi Tūāhuriri’s new skills centre Whitiora, MSD’s Connected Sites, ChristchurchNZ and all things related to the reform of vocational education and migration with the Regional Skills Leadership Group, Te Pūkenga and the Tertiary Education Commission.
By the end of this session you will:
- Have insights on how the local economy is performing and the impact COVID-19 has had on key indicators such as employment, GDP, spending, business confidence and trade
- Have an understanding of new and existing labour market initiatives in employment, training and education locally and nationally
- Have the opportunity to provide feedback directly to government and iwi agencies on the types of skills needed by employers now and in the future and learn more about what they are doing
- Network with practitioners, education providers and fellow industry representatives
This event is aimed at the Christchurch and Canterbury business community including:
- Senior managers
- HR practitioners and specialists
- Those with an interest in the future labour market and skills requirements
This event is brought to you by a partnership between ChristchurchNZ, Whitiora and the Ministry of Social Development
The event will feature an economic update followed by five short introductions from each of the key presenters. You’ll then have the opportunity to separate into break out sessions with each speaker where you can go into more detail on your areas of interest.
3.00-3.20: Economic & Labour Market Update (ChristchurchNZ)
3.20-3.50: An introduction to initiatives:
- Whitiora – new iwi-led Māori Skills Centre
- Ministry of Social Development (MSD) and Connected
- Tertiary Education Commission (TEC)
- Regional Skills Leadership Group (RSLG)
- Te Pūkenga (NZ Institute of Skills and Technology NZ’s new national vocational education provider)
Break out sessions
3.55-4.20: Focus Sessions Round 1 (Choose 1: Whitiora; CNZ; TEC)
4.25-4.50: Focus Sessions Round 2 (Choose 1: MSD & Connected; RSLG; Te Pūkenga)
4.50-5.30: Kai and networking
We look forward to seeing you there.