Having successfully kicked off our first mentoring programme (Mid-Career) earlier this week and we are delighted to announce APPLICATIONS are NOW OPEN for the second mentoring programme, the Career Start Canterbury Tech Mentor Programme.
The Career Start Canterbury Tech Mentor Programme runs from 3 July – 11 September and is aimed at people entering the Canterbury tech workforce for the first time. Canterbury Tech wants to grow world-class talent for our local Tech Sector. Many successful people credit one or more mentors who made a big impact in helping them achieve early success.
Mentoring isn’t just useful for the mentee, it’s great for mentors too. Mentors will be challenged to stay at the top of their game to provide up-to-date advice. Mentors are welcome to apply for both mentor programmes.
The 2019 Canterbury Tech Winter Mentor Programme (based around Roger Nesbitt’s Winter Mentor Programme) was a big success with 36 people taking part and overwhelmingly positive feedback. This year we are expanding on that success by offering 2 programmes.
We are very grateful for the time and effort of our volunteer programme coordinators this year, Ian Wells and Kay Johnson.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
Programme 2 – Career Start Canterbury Tech Mentor Programme
- Applications open 10 June – 28 June 2020 (9 am)
- Meet and Greet Event – 30 June
- The programme runs from 3 July – 11 September 2020
The second Canterbury Tech Career-Start Mentor Programme for 2020 is to support people looking for their first tech job in Canterbury. Mentees need to have the necessary tech skills to work in the Canterbury technical sector.To apply as a mentee for the Career-start Programme, you could be a student at Uni or another tertiary college, you could be an international immigrant, someone emerging from a mid-career change, you could be a self-taught developer or a tech-literate professional wanting to transition more fully into the tech industry. We all know how hard it is to get that first job before you have experience and before you have a network of professional support.
To apply as a mentor you will need to have empathy for people finding their first job. For example, if you work in tech and are not a native New Zealander and have experience adapting to the NZ tech culture, we would love to have you.
This is a 12-week mentor matching programme, comprising six fortnightly mentoring sessions across the winter season, June to September. It is run by volunteers who commit to approximately two hours every two weeks including preparation for mentors and actions for the mentees.
The programme has spaces for matched pairs of up to 18 mentors and 18 mentees. Mentors apply by obtaining a ticket here at no cost. Mentees can apply by buying a ticket here for $15 incl GST. We hope to place all applicants but if your mentee application is unsuccessful, we will give you a full refund. Participation in the Meet and Greet event on Tuesday 30 June is mandatory.
Please note: This programme is NOT designed to find the mentee a job, the mentor is not acting as a recruiter, it is to give the mentee the professional advice based on experience to support them to find their job for themselves. Mentor notes will step you through the process.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for the Programme 2 – Career Start Canterbury Tech Mentor Programme are now open. A small refundable fee does apply to Mentee applicants. For more information go to our website or to apply click here. Questions? You can email us on MentorProgramme@canterburytech.nz
SIX SIMPLE STEPS
This programme has six steps and is similar for both mentors or proteges:
- Complete your application here. You need to apply by 9 am on 28 June 2020 for the Career Start Programme.
- You will be emailed profiles for mentors/mentee and you can select people that you think might be a match for you.
- Attend the kick-off ‘Meet & Greet’ meeting on 30 June where we will describe the process and expectations. You will get an opportunity to meet your potential matches.
- The following day we will ask you to rank your preferred matches in the system.
- The system will then magically match you up and send you an email.
- Mentor and mentee will then arrange six mentoring sessions at times that best suit them. We recommend meeting once a fortnight. View our Mentor Programme Code of Conduct.
FIRST TIME AT MENTORING?
Mentors get plenty of support. Before each session, we provide some tips and guidelines by email, on topics you may want to discuss.
KEY 2020 DATES – CAREER START CANTERBURY TECH MENTOR PROGRAMME 2
- Wednesday 10 June – Applications open
- Sunday 28 June 9 am – Application Period closes. The approval process starts.
- Tuesday 30 June – Meet & Greet event at Tūranga, Christchurch (attendance is required)
- Friday 3 July through to Friday 11 September – Mentoring sessions begin. Fortnightly meetings – 6 in total (An email with hints and tips sent to mentors every two weeks)
- Tuesday 15 September – End of Programme get-together. Retrospective online survey.